Music at Manor Oak
We all enjoy expressing ourselves, and after a time, mere words are not enough. This is where we should start becoming musicians. Music does not belong to musicians. At Manor Oak we are going to explore in ourselves a talent that lies to a greater or lesser extent in all of us.
At Manor Oak Primary School, every child is a potential music maker. It is our task to ensure that his or her entitlement is fulfilled. If a child’s abilities to perceive the art of music are developed, and he/she is sensitive to its wide range and power of expression, then a lifelong interest could be fostered. By bringing children into contact with the ‘basics’ of music - performing, composing and appraising, the following aims are supported;
- To provide a music curriculum which is broad and balanced, and which progressively develops musical skills, concepts and knowledge.
- To encourage children to enjoy musical activities and to provide them with the skills and confidence to participate in musical activities with personal satisfaction.
- To provide the children with a means of expressing ideas and feeling through sound.
- To assist each child to develop a positive self image and self confidence.
- To develop insight through music into areas of experience, some of which cannot be easily be verbalised.
- To develop an awareness of musical traditions across periods and places.
- To promote positive attitudes towards, and enthusiasm for all music in school.
- To develop social skills and awareness whilst making music together.