The role of Local Committee Members
The Role of the Local Committee
There are 3 main roles:
- Ensure the aims of the school are about high educational standards, the safety of all pupils, good behaviour and providing a happy working environment for everyone.
- Hold the Head Teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and pupils.
- Oversee the financial performance of the school and make sure its money is well spent.
How is this managed?
- Have a Local Committee with a variety of skills and experiences
- Delegate responsibility to specific Local Committee Members for greater efficiency
- Appoint a knowledgeable clerk to manage, advise and ensure that the local committee works effectively and efficiently.
- Ensure members undertake training opportunities to improve their confidence and skills.
- Ask the right questions.
- How well a Local Committee does its job has a real impact on the success of the school. So although they are made up of volunteers, Local Committees will be held to account for their effectiveness.